Friday, January 19, 2007

The Story of Ticket # 112090698-2

I love this beautiful little story of my parking ticket # 112090698-2. Because it has a happy ending.

To make a long boring story a short boring story, I got this ticket Sat., Jan. 6, 2007. For violating traffic code 61. For which I was fined $45. Which I had no $#@&* intention of paying.

I was all set to fight it. If the judge ruled against my claim, I was ready to appeal it. And, if I failed in my attempt to appeal, I was ready to notify all local TV news stations and newspapers of the injustice I had suffered heroically.

But, alas, that was not to be. Because the ticket was filled out by someone who never learned to write properly.

"You see? Public education does work. For me, anyway, in this case. All you public schools keep doing the same damn mediocre job you're so good at. Good job!"
--The Parking Ticket Fighter

My educated guess is that the Parking Violations Bureau's imperfect scanning technology couldn't make out the first letter of my plate number. No plate number, no ticket.

From the day I got it, Sat., Jan. 6, 2007, to today, Fri., Jan. 19, 2007, I checked daily to see if it would finally make its existence known. Of course, I checked online today. Still not in the PVB's database.

Which just goes to show you that you should first see if it's actually in the PVB's system. Instead of sending your payment in ASAP. I don't know any statistics on this. But my guess is that way too many people waste their time and money immediately mailing in their payment. Without even checking to see if their ticket's actually in the PVB's database.

Of course, I don't advocate paying your tickets ASAP. Only pay it, if after having your defense heard, the PVB's judge rules against you. Even after that you should always file a motion to appeal. (Only sounds more complicated than it really is.) It's your American right to fight the ticket and to appeal it if ruled against. That's how it's supposed to work in the USA.

"Damn brainwashed mindless drones! Fight the programming! Does the government of NYC work for you or do you work for it?"
--The Parking Ticket Fighter

No comments: